Self Reset Yoga Retreat
Self Reset Yoga Retreat
June 20-25, 2022
Playa Hermosa, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Come rediscover yourself between the ocean and the jungle. Enjoy 5 nights and 6 days of being immersed in your yoga practice and nature at Vida Asana Retreat Center & Eco-Resort in Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica. With each morning salute the rising sun in an invigorating Vinyasa Yoga+Meditation practice. Afternoons are for exploring the beaches, surfing, going on any additional excursion of your choice, or simply relaxing in the art of doing nothing by the pool or in a hammock. Retreaters will enjoy a Rainmaker Conservation Project excursion, a true rainforest experience, complete with hanging bridges, rushing rivers, waterfalls, and clear fresh-water swimming pools. The option to partake in a Cacao Ceremony, led by a trained shamanic practitioner, is also weaved into the fundamental shaping of this retreat. All 3 home cooked meals daily of breakfast, lunch, and dinner made from fresh, local ingredients are included. Evenings will be spent watching the sun set into the Pacific Ocean followed by an early evening Restorative Yoga+Yoga Nidra practice to help ease into a restful sleep.
This retreat is led by Dori Thomsen, studio owner & yoga instructor of Soluna Yoga+Spa. Soluna Yoga+Spa is a wellness center located in Jacksonville, FL. Dori lived in Costa Rica for 5 years before returning back to the States and opening Soluna. She and her family return to Costa Rica to offer yoga retreats and yoga trainings each year. Costa Rica taught her so much from connecting with nature to the importance of creating community. By far the greatest takeaway from living there and returning each year is Costa Rica’s natural ability in teaching us to slow down and leave feeling like you just pressed the reset button.
Vida Asana is a beautiful retreat center and eco-resort, that provides a combination of lodging, fresh meals, as well as yoga, surfing, and mountain biking. They encourage their guests to soak up the sounds, smells, and visually appealing landscape, while letting go and allowing their soul room to breath. Their open-air jungle yoga shala allows nature’s symphony and natural beauty to create the perfect meditative backdrop to your practice.
Enjoy the following on this All-Inclusive Yoga Retreat:
- 5 nights of lodging at Vida Asana Eco Retreat Center
- 3 meals a day (local, fresh and organic when available)
- Shuttle to/from the San Jose (SJO) airport
- 2 times a day of Asana, Meditation, & Pranayama practice
- 2 Excursions: Rainmaker Conservation Project & Cacao Ceremony
Is this retreat for you?
- Couples getaway – YES
- Solo exploration – YES
- Girls’ Trip – YES
- Guys’ Surf adventure – YES
- Celebrating a Special Occasion – YES
- Family Friendly – YES (Please inquire)
Vida Asana is tucked away in the rainforest, less than a mile from the beach, and blends perfectly with the jungle environment. Playa Hermosa is a quiet surfing community, located between the beach towns of Jaco and Manuel Antonio. This location allows our guests to enjoy a wide range of activities, if they choose to venture off of the property. Vida Asana is conveniently located 90 minutes from San Jose Airport (SJO), just outside of Jacó in beautiful Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica. Situated between the lush tropical beauty of the jungle and world-famous beaches of Playa Hermosa, our location provides easy access to a variety of activities, excursions, restaurants, and shopping, yet offers a peaceful jungle setting to repose.
Vida Asana is also dedicated to the local community: both guests and full-time residents often engage in garden building and other sustainable community building programs. Our current primary causes are BJJ Jaco and Costas Verdes. BJJ Jaco teaches our children the joys of physical fitness, discipline, and mindfulness, while Costas Verdes ensures this beautiful land is here to enjoy when they are older. Vida Asana is deeply committed to community involvement and support. While engaging in many activities that support and unite the community at large, we directly support Waves of Hope, an organization affiliated with the 501c Yoga 4 Bee. Come get lost between the ocean and the jungle and we’ll take care of the rest.
Additional amenities included in this retreat:
- All rooms have a private bathroom, hot water, AC, ceiling fan, and organic soap, shampoo, and conditioner.
- Spacious open-air jungle yoga shala, with mats, blocks, straps, and bolsters.
- Welcome refreshments and a light snack upon arrival.
- Sangria night with non-alcoholic (optional).
- Pool, sun deck with lounge chairs, hammocks, and covered lounge area.
- Bicycles for transportation to and from the beach.
- Concierge services (booking of tours, adventures, massages, transportation, general information).
- Private Room (1 person): $1899
- Shared Accommodations (2-3 people): $1449/person
- Early Bird Rate: Register before January 10, 2022
- Private Room: $1699
- Shared Room: $1349
- Deposit of $500 due to sign-up. REGISTER HERE
- Once you register and pay deposit we will send you an invoice for the balance. Balance will be due no later than March 15, 2022
- Investment does not include airfare or additional travel expenses
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions
- Flight info: Choose your flight to arrive to SJO anytime in the 12-2pm window, which is the best time for the shuttle. It’s typically a 90 min drive, but the shuttle will stop at a cool sight seeing spot on the way, so total will be 2 hrs door to door. Check your passport to ensure it is not set to expire before or within 6 months following your trip.
- Cancellation Policy: Any payments made are non-refundable after January 1, 2022. The amount will be used as a credit for a future retreat. Costa Rica requires all tourists to obtain Travel Insurance. We can refer you to a website to obtain this.
- Covid Safety Requirements/Practices
- With the ever evolving landscape. These will be communicated as the retreat nears.
Included in your stay are three meals daily during the retreat, a welcome snack upon arrival, and one sangria night. The food at Vida Asana was created with a healthy lifestyle as the inspiration. Every menu item is made from scratch using whole, and as often as possible, organic ingredients–mostly gluten free, and vegan centric, with eggs and yogurt at breakfast, and fish served at dinner every second night. All allergies or dietary needs are easily accommodated. Additionally they are continuing to install more permaculture gardens and edible landscaping to increase the onsite organic harvest.
- Gallo pinto (beans and rice with aromatics and salsa lizano- a very Costa Rican typical breakfast)
- Sweet plantains
- Pico de gallo
- Fresh Fruit
- Tortilla Española (Our version of a Spanish omelet made with camote, a local white sweet potato)
- Chia pudding with almonds and strawberries
- Housemade granola OR hot quinoa made with bananas, coconut, and almond butter
- Fresh Fruit
- Greek Salad
- Fresh greens (from our garden)
- Hummus and Baba ghanouj
- Falafel with Tzatiki and Tahini Sauces
- Sushi Bowl (A mix of sushi rice, carrot, cucumber, avocado, mango, black sesame seeds, sushi nori, and sesame ginger vinaigrette)
- Salad greens
- Miso soup
- Fresh fruit
- Vegan Lasagna, Fresh green salad with Dijon or Balsamic Vinaigrette, and for desert an Apple Crisp
- Pad Thai Shrimp in Tamarind Glaze with Rainbow Mix of Fresh Veggies in Rice Noodles and Peanut Sauce, Fresh Green Salad, and for desert an Avocado Chocolate Mousse with Strawberries
Excursions included in this retreat (optional to attend):
- Cacao Ceremony: Led by a trained shamanic practitioner. Cacao ceremonies are a centuries-old ritual seen as the ultimate heart-opener. In addition to being packed full of vitamins and minerals, cacao increases blood flow to the brain which helps to strengthen awareness and focus. It helps the body to heal, detoxify and to give your immune system a good boost. The experience of raw chocolate can also assist in energetic healing and receiving clarity in the areas of love, purpose, intuitive abilities, career and personal growth.
- Rainmaker Conservation Project: Rainmaker Park is the best of both worlds as it feels like a national park, yet is relatively unheard of – a hidden gem! The gorgeous shade-making tree canopy and clear waters keep this hike super fresh even on the hottest of days. One of our favorite guides will take you on this adventure, ensuring that you see as much wildlife as possible while educating the group about the inner workings of the rainforest and her plant and animal life. It is a true rainforest experience, complete with hanging bridges, rushing rivers, waterfalls, and clear fresh-water swimming pools. The tour finishes up with a home cooked traditional lunch. Difficulty Level – Easy to Medium – some steep climbs, but the paths and steps are well maintained and often made of stone or recycled tires. People with knee problems or those with a legitimate fear of heights are cautioned. What to Wear – Wear your swimsuit under your clothes making it easy to jump right in the beautiful waterfall fed pool! Wear sneakers or hiking sandals and bring a small daypack with towel, water bottle, bug spray, flip-flops, and change of clothes for the ride home. (Flip-flops are for the last part of the hike after the swim).
Other excursion opportunities not included in this retreat:
Vida Asana is located in Playa Hermosa, the adventure capital of Central America. There is something for everyone here! We have narrowed down the many options to include favorites that coincide well with group schedules.
- Manuel Antonio National Park
- Stand Up Paddleboard
- Horseback Riding and Jungle Spa
- Mirador Hike
- Sweatlodge, led by a trained shamanic practitioner
We work with several independent therapists that offer a variety of bodywork. Once your group arrives, we will work with each interested person to schedule treatments during available times within your schedule. Prices range from $70 – $200 depending on the treatment.
Flight and additional travel expenses are not included in this retreat. You will want to fly into the San Jose, Costa Rica International Airport (SJO). There will be one airport transfer each way that is pre-arranged for our group and is included in the retreat. The driver will stop at the famous Tarcoles Bridge, to see crocodiles in their natural habitat and will provide fresh coconut water for each guest, either at the airport or upon stopping at the bridge. Often an extra transfer is required for very early or late arrivals. If you require extra transfers or are an individual coming to Vida Asana, we can arrange transportation for you with one of our trusted drivers. The price generally runs $90 -$150 each way. Some exceptions apply.
See Video below for a taste. Please note this was taken at a past Costa Rica retreat location.
About Retreat Leader Dori:
Florida native Dori Thomsen, is a 500-hr ERYT, Co-Founder of Soluna Yoga + Spa with her husband, Christian. She first entered a yoga class over a decade ago, while a freshman in college at UNF, but found her true calling to teach yoga while living in Costa Rica. Dori gained the 200-hr Registered Yoga Teacher certification in 2010 with the Yoga Alliance, at an ashram in Guatemala, under the guidance of her teacher Paula Tursi of Reflections Yoga. She lived in Costa Rica for 5 years and taught for 3 of those years before returning back to the States. While living there, she continued her studies and earned a certificate in Prenatal Yoga & Restorative Yoga in 2011 and to also lead Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga in 2012. She is considered a pioneer of SUP Yoga in Central America, while living and teaching there and has now returned to Jacksonville with her family. In February of 2016, she completed her 500-hr advanced training, humbly earning the certificate of Yoga Acharya (Yoga Master) with Bhooma Chaitanaya and Swami Yogeshananda Saraswati at Aarsha Yoga Vidya Peetham in Kerala, India. She then dove deeper into her studies by completing the Yoga Therapy Training under her teacher Dr. Marie Bailey with the Amrit Yoga Institute. Dori is passionate about teaching Meditation, Pranayama, and all styles of yoga from and incorporates this free form expression of yoga in her classes, while encouraging her students to connect to the root and explore the practice. Dori is also passionate about teaching Prenatal Yoga, has been leading the classes since 2011, and enjoys connecting moms and moms-to-be; growing the village that it truly takes to raise a child. She became a Mother in 2013 and met her greatest teacher when they welcomed a baby girl into this world. She considers her daughter, Olive, to be her Guru. Olive continually teaches Dori how to love unconditionally and how to create authentic connection through communication, movement and breath. Olive also taught her how to lead Mommy & Me Yoga, attending these classes with Dori regularly. The doors to Soluna Yoga + Spa opened in December of 2014 and was voted #1 Yoga Studio by Jacksonville Magazine in 2016 & 2017 and in 2018, 2019 & 2020 with Folio Weekly! You can find Dori teaching classes and trainings at Soluna and leading trainings+retreats in Costa Rica. When Dori is not at Soluna, she enjoys spending time traveling with her family, playing in their garden+doing yard work, and taking time to press pause.