85 Hour Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training
June 13-20, 2021
Playa Hermosa, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
This course is not only available to yoga teachers but also to those who would like to learn more about building a prenatal yoga, postnatal yoga, mommy & me yoga practice, or work in the field of prenatal or postnatal care.
You have started to teach yoga or fitness classes in your community. A pregnant women walks into your class. Would you know how to modify the practice for her safely and modify confidently? Would you like to learn techniques that are safe for you to teach during pregnancy, labor, and after?
We invite you to join us for this comprehensive 85 hr Prenatal, Postnatal, and Mommy & Me yoga teacher training and intensive in the beautiful tropics of Costa Rica! Learn how to support women who are expecting, in their journey into being a mother, conscious birthing, and postnatal yoga with Dori Thomsen E-RYT 500, owner of Soluna Yoga+Spa. Dive into this practice, uniting expecting mothers, supporting them in their connection to body and baby, while encouraging them to to have a more compassionate-filled pregnancy, empowered birth and enter postnatal recovery with grace. An in depth manual is included in the tuition of this training.
Come rediscover yourself between the ocean and the jungle. Join us for 7 nights and 8 days of being immersed in nature and this 85 hour Prenatal Yoga Teacher training course at Vida Asana Retreat Center & Eco-Resort in Playa Hermosa, Puntarenas, Costa Rica (not to be confused with Playa Hermosa in Guanacaste). With each morning salute the rising sun in an invigorating Prenatal Yoga+Meditation practice. The majority of the days are spent in a class setting diving into workshops and lectures in learning about Prenatal Yoga, how to teach this form of practice, anatomical focus, modifications, meditation, pranayama, and techniques specialized to the needs of pregnant women for each trimester, empowering their labor, delivery, and postnatal recovery. Breaks are offered between meals and classes for homework, studying as a group and individually as well as being able to explore the beaches, surfing, or simply relaxing in the art of doing nothing by the pool or in a hammock. Students in this training will be able to enjoy a Rainmaker Conservation Project excursion, a true rainforest experience, complete with hanging bridges, rushing rivers, waterfalls, and clear fresh-water swimming pools. The option to partake in a sweatlodge is also weaved into the fundamental shaping of this retreat in which you are led by a trained shamanic practitioner to release toxins of both a physical and emotional nature through sweating induced from fire heated sacred stones. All 3 meals daily of breakfast, lunch, and dinner made from fresh, local ingredients are included. After a full day of classes and study, students will be led into a Restorative Yoga+Yoga Nidra practice to help rejuvenate their spirit for the next day that lies ahead. The main focus of this training is Prenatal Yoga, however a generous portion of Postnatal Yoga and Mommy & Me Yoga will be covered in this course as well.
This training is led by Dori Thomsen, studio owner & yoga instructor of Soluna Yoga+Spa. Soluna Yoga+Spa is a wellness center located in Jacksonville, FL. Dori lived in Costa Rica for 5 years before returning back to the States and opening Soluna. She and her family return to Costa Rica to offer yoga retreats and yoga trainings each year. Costa Rica taught her so much from connecting with nature to the importance of creating community. By far the greatest takeaway from living there and returning each year is Costa Rica’s natural ability in teaching us to slow down and leave feeling like you just pressed the reset button.
Vida Asana is a beautiful retreat center and eco-resort, that provides a combination of lodging, fresh meals, as well as yoga, surfing, and mountain biking. They encourage their guests to soak up the sounds, smells, and visually appealing landscape, while letting go and allowing their soul room to breath. Their open-air jungle yoga shala allows nature’s symphony and natural beauty to create the perfect meditative backdrop to your practice.
In this training you will learn:
- The primary focus will be on how to lead a prenatal yoga class and to be knowledgeable in modifications if someone pregnant attends a traditional class. Additional training in this course will include how to lead a postnatal, and mommy & me yoga class
- Understand what an expecting mother is experiencing
- How to develop relationships with the mommy community and healthcare professionals
- Know what to suggest and offer modifications in class, the to do’s and not to do’s
- How to develop a Prenatal, Postnatal, and Mommy & Me yoga sequences for public classes and private sessions or personal use
- Techniques specialized to the needs of pregnant women for each trimester, empowering their labor, delivery, and postnatal recovery
- How to design a lesson plan for each trimester with creative themes
- Anatomy and physiology related to pregnancy
- Traditional yoga philosophy as it applies to pregnancy and journey into motherhood
- Pregnancy conditions
- Verbal and manual adjustments
- Restorative and relaxation techniques
- Partner Prenatal Yoga
- What you can do to support a growing community of moms and moms-to-be
- All the current birthing trends
- How to communicate confidently to new moms their options for prenatal, labor, delivery and postnatal postures and centering techniques
- Comprehensive Manual
- Daily prenatal classes, with additional classes on postnatal yoga and Mommy & Me yoga
- Daily meditation and pranayama sessions
- Daily lectures and workshops on pregnancy, birth, and postnatal care
- Certification upon completion
- 7 nights accommodation
- 3 fresh meals daily
- Shuttle to/from the San Jose International Airport (SJO)
- 2 Excursions
Vida Asana is tucked away in the rainforest, less than a mile from the beach, and blends perfectly with the jungle environment. Playa Hermosa is a quiet surfing community, located between the beach towns of Jaco and Manuel Antonio. This location allows our guests to enjoy a wide range of activities, if they choose to venture off of the property. Vida Asana is conveniently located 90 minutes from San Jose Airport (SJO), just outside of Jacó in beautiful Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica. Situated between the lush tropical beauty of the jungle and world-famous beaches of Playa Hermosa, our location provides easy access to a variety of activities, excursions, restaurants, and shopping, yet offers a peaceful jungle setting to repose.
Vida Asana is also dedicated to the local community: both guests and full-time residents often engage in garden building and other sustainable community building programs. Their current primary causes are BJJ Jaco and Costas Verdes. BJJ Jaco teaches our children the joys of physical fitness, discipline, and mindfulness, while Costas Verdes ensures this beautiful land is here to enjoy when they are older. Vida Asana is deeply committed to community involvement and support. While engaging in many activities that support and unite the community at large, they directly support Waves of Hope, an organization affiliated with the 501c Yoga 4 Bee. Come get lost between the ocean and the jungle and we’ll take care of the rest.
We asked our previous students what was their biggest takeaway from this training. Here is what they said:
“The sisterhood that’s created as well as all the training. The immersion, while intense, is the way to go to really grasp prenatal yoga. Dori is a fantastic teacher and has so much wisdom and knowledge to share.”–Candace from New Mexico
“The importance of creating and holding space. I think the incorporation of the mechanics behind pregnancy and laboring is so tremendously helpful in giving a teacher the understanding of how to accommodate a pregnant student in any class.”–Anonymous from Ireland
“How to be a better teacher; confidence, creativity with ideas on workshops, classes, even trainings. This fueled my curiosity again. I also loved the projects on art and the traditions in other cultures and countries. That was great!” –Natasha from Florida
“A pure immersion where you are not only reminded about the power and grace of pregnant women’s bodies, but also your own. A beautiful experience in an incredible country. Thank you for a time of rejuvenation, learning, and growth”–Anonymous from California
- Spacious open-air jungle yoga shala, with mats, blocks, straps, and bolsters.
- All rooms have a private bathroom, hot water, AC, ceiling fan, and organic soap, shampoo, and conditioner.
- Welcome refreshments and a light snack upon arrival.
- Sangria night with non-alcoholic (optional).
- Pool, sun deck with lounge chairs, hammocks, and covered lounge area.
- Bicycles for transportation to and from the beach.
- Concierge services (booking of tours, adventures, massages, transportation, general information).
- Private Room (1 person): $1850
- Shared Accommodations (2-3 per room): $1550/person
- Register before January 1, 2021 to receive Early Bird $100 off.
- $500 deposit due to register. Balance due before March 1, 2021 REGISTER
- Once you register and pay deposit we will send you a link for the balance.
- Tuition does not include airfare, additional travel expenses, and required books.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or about the cost of tuition only option if you live near or already have a place to stay in Playa Hermosa.
Included in your stay are three meals daily during the retreat, a welcome snack upon arrival, and one sangria night. The food at Vida Asana is created with a healthy lifestyle as the inspiration. Every menu item is made from scratch using whole, and as often as possible, organic ingredients. The meals are mostly gluten free, and vegan centric, with eggs and yogurt at breakfast, and fish served at dinner every second night. All allergies or dietary needs are easily accommodated. Additionally they are continuing to install more permaculture gardens and edible landscaping to increase the onsite organic harvest.
- Gallo pinto (beans and rice with aromatics and salsa lizano- a very Costa Rican typical breakfast)
- Sweet plantains
- Pico de gallo
- Fresh Fruit
- Tortilla Española (Our version of a Spanish omelet made with camote, a local white sweet potato)
- Chia pudding with almonds and strawberries
- Housemade granola OR hot quinoa made with bananas, coconut, and almond butter
- Fresh Fruit
- Greek Salad
- Fresh greens (from our garden)
- Hummus and Baba ghanouj
- Falafel with Tzatiki and Tahini Sauces
- Sushi Bowl (A mix of sushi rice, carrot, cucumber, avocado, mango, black sesame seeds, sushi nori, and sesame ginger vinaigrette)
- Salad greens
- Miso soup
- Fresh fruit
- Vegan Lasagna, Fresh green salad with Dijon or Balsamic Vinaigrette, and for desert an Apple Crisp
- Pad Thai Shrimp in Tamarind Glaze with Rainbow Mix of Fresh Veggies in Rice Noodles and Peanut Sauce, Fresh Green Salad, and for desert an Avocado Chocolate Mousse with Strawberries
Please notify us in advance if you are:
Other dietary requirements needed
SAMPLE DAILY SCHEDULE
(schedule may vary):
6:00AM Morning meditation+pranayama+asana practice
9:00AM Lecture & workshops
12:00PM Lunch and break
2:00PM Lecture & workshops
7:00PM Evening lecture & asana practice
Excursions Included in this Training:
- Sweatlodge: This is a variation on the Native American inipi or temazcal. Participants are led by a trained shamanic practitioner to release toxins of both a physical and emotional nature through sweating induced from fire heated sacred stones. Prayers and blessings are offered up during each of four sessions, or doors, each lasting around 20 minutes and interspersed with dipping in the cool sitting pool or under the shower to prepare for the following door. After the final door, the group walks across the road to the beach to enjoy the sunset and process the experience. Difficulty Level – Medium – For those experienced with the process, this is a milder form of traditional sweat lodge. For a first time participant or those new to the inward journey, it can be challenging. Individuals can leave at any time they feel uncomfortable, and rejoin if they like. There are no musts, or judgment surrounding the process, only support. What to Wear – Wear a swimsuit and bring a towel. A swimsuit cover, sarong, or other loose fitting clothing is a good choice for before and after for the ride home. Leave behind metal jewelry or anything that will heat up or be damaged. Be sure to hydrate throughout the day and take a full water bottle with you.
- Rainmaker Conservation Project: Rainmaker Park is the best of both worlds as it feels like a national park, yet is relatively unheard of – a hidden gem! The gorgeous shade-making tree canopy and clear waters keep this hike super fresh even on the hottest of days. One of our favorite guides will take you on this adventure, ensuring that you see as much wildlife as possible while educating the group about the inner workings of the rainforest and her plant and animal life. It is a true rainforest experience, complete with hanging bridges, rushing rivers, waterfalls, and clear fresh-water swimming pools. The tour finishes up with a home cooked traditional lunch. Difficulty Level – Easy to Medium – some steep climbs, but the paths and steps are well maintained and often made of stone or recycled tires. People with knee problems or those with a legitimate fear of heights are cautioned. What to Wear – Wear your swimsuit under your clothes making it easy to jump right in the beautiful waterfall fed pool! Wear sneakers or hiking sandals and bring a small daypack with towel, water bottle, bug spray, flip-flops, and change of clothes for the ride home. (Flip-flops are for the last part of the hike after the swim).
Vida Asana also offers spa treatments that can be scheduled during available times within training. Prices range from $70 – $200 depending on the treatment.
Flight and additional travel expenses are not included in this training. You will want to fly into the San Jose, Costa Rica International Airport (SJO). There will be one airport transfer each way that is pre-arranged for our group and is included in the training. The driver will stop at the famous Tarcoles Bridge, to see crocodiles in their natural habitat and will provide fresh coconut water for each guest, either at the airport or upon stopping at the bridge. Often an extra transfer is required for very early or late arrivals. If you require extra transfers, we can arrange transportation for you with one of our trusted drivers. The price generally runs $90 -$150 each way. Some exceptions apply.
• Yoga for Pregnancy-Sandra Jordan
• Birthing From Within-Pam England & Rob Horowitz
• Female Pelvis-Blandine Calais Germanine
• Yoga Mama, Yoga Baby: Ayurveda and Yoga for a Healthy Pregnancy and Birth-Margo Shapiro Bachman
• Itsy Bitsy Yoga: Poses to Help Your Baby Sleep Longer, Digest Better, and Grow Stronger-Helen Garabedian
About the Teacher:
Florida native Dori Thomsen, is a 500-hr ERYT, Co-Founder of Soluna Yoga + Spa with her husband, Christian. She first entered a yoga class over a decade ago, while a freshman in college at UNF, but found her true calling to teach yoga while living in Costa Rica. Dori gained the 200-hr Registered Yoga Teacher certification in 2010 with the Yoga Alliance, at an ashram in Guatemala, under the guidance of her teacher Paula Tursi of Reflections Yoga. She lived in Costa Rica for 5 years and taught for 3 of those years before returning back to the States. While living there, she continued her studies and earned a certificate in Prenatal Yoga & Restorative Yoga in 2011 and to also lead Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga in 2012. She is considered a pioneer of SUP Yoga in Central America, while living and teaching there and has now returned to Jacksonville with her family. In February of 2016, she completed her 500-hr advanced training, humbly earning the certificate of Yoga Acharya (Yoga Master) with Bhooma Chaitanaya and Swami Yogeshananda Saraswati at Aarsha Yoga Vidya Peetham in Kerala, India. She then dove deeper into her studies by completing the Yoga Therapy Training under her teacher Dr. Marie Bailey with the Amrit Yoga Institute. Dori is passionate about teaching Meditation, Pranayama, and all styles of yoga from and incorporates this free form expression of yoga in her classes, while encouraging her students to connect to the root and explore the practice. Dori is also passionate about teaching Prenatal Yoga, has been leading the classes since 2011, and enjoys connecting moms and moms-to-be; growing the village that it truly takes to raise a child. She became a Mother in 2013 and met her greatest teacher when they welcomed a baby girl into this world. She considers her daughter, Olive, to be her Guru. Olive continually teaches Dori how to love unconditionally and how to create authentic connection through communication, movement and breath. Olive also taught her how to lead Mommy & Me Yoga, attending these classes with Dori regularly. The doors to Soluna Yoga + Spa opened in December of 2014 and was voted #1 Yoga Studio by Jacksonville Magazine in 2016 & 2017 and in 2018 & 2019 with Folio Weekly! You can find Dori teaching classes and trainings at Soluna and leading trainings+retreats in Costa Rica. When Dori is not at Soluna, she enjoys spending time traveling with her family, playing in their garden+doing yard work, and taking time to press pause.